Is Paddling For Me
Sprint canoe kayak racing is a fast paced and exciting sport in which the athletes use specially designed and highly developed racing shells
and paddle in events over distances of 200, 500 and 1000 metres.
There are singles, doubles and fours in both canoe and kayak and the most exciting racing craft is the 15 personal war canoe.
Highly trained coaches work with all ages and levels of ability to provide a safe, challenging experience.
A recent TFO feature on the Balmy Beach Canoe Club can be viewed at
Here are some good reasons why anyone can learn to paddle a sprint canoe or kayak with the Balmy Beach Canoe Club.
- Programs are offered for all ages and at all levels of ambition.
- No previous paddling experience is necessary.
- The Club supplies all equipment.
- Coaches work with all members
- Safety, both on and off the water, is our first priority.
- Its a heck of a lot of fun.
Practices are held at our site at the foot of Cowell Avenue in Toronto. Look for the Lions Club building and follow the road through Ashbridges Bay Park to the parking lot entrance.
Spring and summer on water practices take place from May 1st to October 31st and fall and winter indoor training continues for Bantam aged and older paddlers. Paddlers have the option of participating in local and regional regattas held throughout the summer.
Programs are offered for all ages:
- Under 11 (U11) Canoe/Kayak Program (Ages 8-10)
- Under 13 (U13) Canoe/Kayak Program (Ages 11-12
- Under 15 (U15) Canoe/Kayak Program (Ages 13-14)
- Coach in Training (Ages 13-15)
- Development/ High Performance Program (Ages 15 +)
- War Canoe/C4 Program (Ages 15 +)
- Masters Program (Ages 25 +)
- Learn to Paddle Program
- PaddleALL (Special Needs and Para-athlete Program)
More information can be found on the "Canoe/Kayak for all Ages" page.
Watch this great YouTube video of a typical practice for High Performance Balmy Beach Canoe Club athletes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv5y-iWQfMM&feature=endscreen&NR=1
The Club also offers a SUMMER SPORTS CAMP which is a Full Day-Camp in one week segments. This Camp offers a multi-sport program with an introduction to paddling and you can find out more in the “Summer Camp” section.
Balmy Beach has a long tradition of accommodating the special needs of individual athletes where the burden of paying membership fees may prevent them from participating in a program. These situations are handled on a case by case basis and should be discussed with the Head Coach, the Commodore or the Registrar directly